If you would like to help make this a success we would love to work with you.
After all running is only part of the challenge. The real challenge is to raise funds for the Irish Guide Dogs for the Blind to help make a real difference.
- If you would like to help out in any way or could add your expertise or local knowledge to the team then please go to the Contact Us link or message the Facebook page or simply read on.
- We would love a contact in each and every county that will meet us on the day of the challenge. But before that, help us identify a safe running route and answer questions we may have regarding your county. We will be looking to run looped courses in parks, on greenways or on the grounds of hotels etc.. We will also run in one or two large marathons were the schedule permits. We will need to identify media outlets in your area to send a press release to. We will also be looking for cooperate sponsorship in the area. If you think you could help with any of the above we would love you to be part of the team.
This is a huge challenge and Alex will hope to enlist as much support as possible as he traverses the country if you can come out and share in this experience we would love to see you and I’m sure we will have a few familiar faces join us on route.
Of course there is a very serious side to all this as Alex will be renewing his pledge to raise funds for an amazing charity The Irish Guide Dogs for the Blind.
Did you Know the hours and expense that go into creating a Guide Dog? You have Breeding, socialising, puppy walking, training, boarding, veterinary bills, Food. After all that the future Guide or assistance Dog will have to pass a serious of tests before they can go on to be successfully matched with a client and become a Guide or assistance Dog. The Irish Guide Dogs will then go on to support this partnership for the duration and put plans in place for a replacement Guide Dog / assistance Dog when the time comes.
We also need the following:
Alex and Ollie are taking time off work at their own expense and would love help to cover additional costs of which they are keeping as low as possible.
- A Web Designer we asked and they answered (welcome on board Barry Design, Little Island, Cork)
- A Fuel Provider – A Fuel Card as we will no doubt go through a fair bit o fuel as we travel county to county so we would love a fuel provider onboard that will help us go the distance.
- Accommodation – We will also be looking for accommodation to be sponsored each night. When we confirm our route we will look to identify local Hoteliers & B&B’s as close to the route as possible to minimise or travel time. Of course if we find hotels with suitable grounds to run a looped course that would be amazing. We also considered a camper but with two runners, height restrictions in some car parks and such a tight schedule the hours of rest we get will need to be of a high standard and having spoke to others the camper idea was deemed not suitable for a challenge on this time frame.
- A Print Sponsor – We would love to get some clothing printed or embroidered if you can help or know someone please get in touch.
- Food and Water – We would love to team up with people that feel they can help us in this area. You wouldn’t think it by looking at us but we will go through a lot of food to fuel two marathons a day and to fuel the recovery. We will need Fruit, liquids, snacks sweet / savory & a hot evening meal (hopefully we will have time to eat it)….
- Car Rental we will be looking for a sponsored car. Again we ruled out a van due to parking height restrictions at some locations. A large Diesel car that can accommodate a few people, kit bags, some signage etc would be ideal.
- Running Apparel – we will need Shoes, socks, t-shirts, shorts, rain jacket, hat etc. We would love to team up with somone in this area and talk to you about the many possibilities that lie ahead. if you need someone to test your gear then we have the perfect test in mind 32 marathons 32 counties 16 days…
- First aid Equipment – We will certainly see a few blisters on this journey & will need to prepare. Alcohol wipes, disposable gloves paramedic sheers, tape, dressings, ice packs heat packs, Vaseline etc